The George West Gin was operated in the late 1930's and early 1940's. There are two building on the 2.4 acres. The main gin has approximately 4,800 square feet of area under a metal roof. Some of the original ginning equipment is still located in this building. The building has two levels, a concrete floor, red clay tile and metal framing for the roof. A 1,200 square foot drive-thru was used to unload cotton for the gin. This area is covered with a concrete floor. The second building was used as a cottonseed storage building. It has red clay tile walls, a steel frame supported metal roof and dirt floor. A small portion of the floor has been framed for a concrete pad. This site abuts to the railroad and at one time has a rail siding for loading cotton onto train cars.
From the intersection of U.S. 281 and Business 59 in George West, Texas go east on U.S. 59 Business, cross railroad tracts and turn right onto Larry Busby Drive. Go approximatley 300 feet and the property will be on the right. This is across Larry Busby Drive from the Live Oak County Justice Center.